I love lemon, so I really wanted to love this recipe. But, I don't, it is OK and my husband loves it, but it just did not hit me as amazing. I followed the recipe as is, but took a cue from the many recipes for tres leche cake that I keep seeing and baked it in a 9x9 pan and made a coating for it. For the coating/glaze I made some lemon curd, it was so amazing and easy, and mixed the lemon curd with heavy cream and evaporated milk. I could live on the coating/glaze, it was so good!
 |
| Homemade lemon curd, so yummy! |
 |
| Ready to go in oven |
When it was done baking, I took it out and put a bunch of holes in it with a toothpick.
And put a bunch of holes in it with a toothpick and poured the amazing coating/glaze on it!
 |
| Could seriously lick this right off the cake! |
Well, after a couple of hours in the fridge and even overnight, it did not really sink into the cake. Might be because it was almost a pound cake and really dense already, but the glaze did solidify on top and make a thick almost frosting.
Thanks to our awesome hosts this week:
Truc and
Michelle!
Erin, your cake with the glaze does look delicious. Strawberries are always wonderful with lemon cake!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I love strawberries and lemon!
DeleteAw, sorry this wasn't amazing for you. Your glaze looks great, though!
ReplyDeleteThanks, it was so yummy!
DeleteOooh with that glaze... looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I could live in that glaze!
DeleteErin, It looks delicious…even if it wasn’t a hit for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteOh, lemon curd is the elixer of life :-)
ReplyDeleteBut, I agree, the cake wasn't quite what I was hoping for.
Great idea to add some life to the cake!
Thanks, oh my gosh, the lemon curd was the best!
DeleteYou were more creative than I. Lemon curd, next time. I did pour lemon curd (from a jar) to serve but was so disgusted with the look and taste of it, I poured it down the drain. Will make my own next time. I wrapped my lemon loaf in a towel and let it sit overnight and found the lemon flavor to be subtle and nice. I liked it but I admit, not toooooo lemony. Mary
ReplyDeleteThanks, homemade is the best and it was so easy!
DeleteYum! Lemon curd makes cakes taste so amazing. I can only imagine how moist and delicious this is.
ReplyDeleteI know, it is so good!
DeleteTres leche cake is my favorite cake and my daughter and I baked our first one for my birthday last week. I think you are right that because this recipe is more like a pound cake it was too dense for the milk/curd to soak through. But what a great idea to make it with a combination of milks and curd!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I am going to try a traditional tres leche sometime soon. The lemon curd/milk glaze was so good!
DeleteLooks very delicious to me! Hate it when recipes don't work out to your expectations, but at least theres next time!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I definitely appreciate next times!
DeleteHomemade lemon curd is the only way to go!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely!
DeleteThat glaze does look like thick frosting! Loos just delicious!
ReplyDeleteThanks, it was really good!
DeleteI liked this cake even though it was as lemony as you would expect a lemon loaf to be. I like the look of your glaze. I brushed mine with flavored sugar syrup, though it didn't soak in very deep.
ReplyDeleteOMG - that looks amazing!
ReplyDelete